Monday, October 8, 2012

Silent Auction!

I wanted to take a minute to thank everyone involved in our silent auction this past friday! Everything went over very well and hopefully soon we will have an update as to where we are with our fundraising efforts. Everyone has been so generous, I am absolutely blown away with the love and affection that has been shown in our direction. So here is a run-down of how the night went, from my perspective :)

So, all of us dedicated servers and auction staff arrived about an hour before to prepare and make last minute adjustments. I had been trying to get rid of a bad headache all day, so I didn't come early to set up, but everyone did a wonderful job! It was a perfect set-up for a fall evening with the decor. I brought in my contributions (shout out to Anna, Catherine, Crystal, Anna, Jill, Jillane, Dennis and Zhao-Zhao for putting things together for us to auction) and got things set up...then I twiddled my thumbs and wandered around the room...trying to figure out what to do. It was a little discouraging, but everyone was so efficient, that there wasn't anything that I could do to help at the moment. Every work station had two or three people there already, so my desire to help was overwhelmed with the lack of a need and no more space for me to work in. It all got done, that's what matters right?

So about 7p, people started coming in and I was super pumped to start serving people their food and drinks. But everyone just wanted to stand around. Yes, some people were milling around looking at auction items, but some were just standing and chatting. Once again..it had me feeling a little awkward and out-of-place as I decided what to do. I did start to serve some people with drinks and then we had the food blessed and got down to business for real. 

Well, I've never been a waitress. Never ever. I don't count the two mornings that I worked in a hospitality tent at the Masters Golf Tournament. One, I was probably not even old enough to be working there, and two, it was a total of about 3 hours or so. But you would think, even with the lack of experience, I would be familiar with the basics. Drinks first, then salad, entree and finally dessert. I had my two tables of 8 picked out to serve, so i just started serving them. Whatever kind of food that came out of the kitchen, that's what they got. Whoops. So much for everyone at the table having salad, then their entrees. Some got everything at once, others got one at a time. People came in later and had to catch up...I give props to all the waitresses out there because not everyone is cut out for that kind of work. Anyways, everyone got food. I didn't drop any food (not on anyone, or the floor thank you very much!). So in my book, it was a successful first time as a waitress. 

My wonderful mom came and supported us!! She came away with some really great things at AMAZING prices. I'm still flabbergasted. I even did some last minute bidding and came home with a beautiful stella and dot necklace. 

It was a good night and it was great to see the team put in such hard work. I know if we're all such hard workers, the trip will definitely be an awesome success :) I really can't wait to see what God is going to do through the people on this team for the people of Haiti! ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ -Matthew 25:45

Stay tuned for wedding bells via my lovely sister-in-law, Anna


 -Cas

No comments: