Friday, April 25, 2014

Recipe sharing

So I thought I would share a recipe that is one of our go-to casseroles. We love this recipe and it gets gobbled up super fast. Maybe you will enjoy it as well.

Mexican Casserole

-shredded cheese (I use Colby/Monterrey jack)
-chicken (1-1 1/2 breast depending on how much meat you like)
-salsa (pick your favorite)
-taco seasoning
-rice (1cup uncooked)
-black beans (1 can)
-velveta (1/2 a package)
-cream of onion soup (1 can)

Rice prep- I have a rice cooker and all I do is set it up like normal and add a large spoonful of salsa and voila, Spanish rice
Chicken prep- I cook my chicken on the stove in a mixture of salsa and taco seasoning (I like the low sodium kind and only use 1/2 a packet) the salsa keeps the chicken moist and I just shred it up with a fork when I am done
Bean prep - heat on the stove in a pot. Simple really 
Everything else- melt velveta and mix in Cream of onion and whatever is left of the salsa. It will look disgusting. 

Now layer everything up in a 9x13 pan. I usually go rice, soup mix, beans and chicken, but however you like it is fine. I do try to put either beans or soup mix next to the rice to keep it from getting dry. Then top with your shredded cheese and throw in the oven at 350 until everything is bubbly and the cheese is melted. Maybe 20 min max. I'm not sure to be honest. Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or in a tortilla for that matter. Enjoy!!

-Cas

No comments: