Sunday, October 20, 2013

updates cont...

So, where did I leave off in the story? Oh yes, Duane and I had just moved to Nashville (aka music city, aka nashvegas). 

Now I work at Vanderbilt University Medical Center in the adult hospital on the Cardiovascular Surgical Unit. Basically, we get LOTS of vascular surgeries (Fem-pop bypass, CABG, heart catheterizations, heart attacks, amputations, valve replacements, etc.). The vascular side is definitely new to me, but learning about it was pretty straight forward. Being that Vandy is such a large teaching institute, it is on the cutting edge of new technology and surgical techniques. Awesome right? Although I don't know everything, my nurse manager decided that I would make a good fill-in for charge nurse sometimes. After working for 3 months?!? I'm still flabbergasted by this and consistently deny that I would ever want to be in charge, but here I am, 1-2 days a week as charge nurse over a 20 bed unit. Crazy.

I love my co-workers. Night shift is so different and without awesome coworkers who value teamwork and being goofy and sarcastic, I wouldn't get through the long nights. Becki, Donna, Taylor, Mo, Kelly, Margo, Roy, June, Jane, David, Austin, Lucas, Brad, Terra, Salley, Laura, Christy, Beth, Hilary, Crystal, y'all are so awesome and I am so blessed to work with a wonderful group of people. I am so grateful to work on a unit that really does have such great teamwork. We might not always have the best night, but we get through it together. Y'all have held me up, and I will continue to do the same for you guys. :)

Duane has been job-hunting/networking and its working :) He has been playing with several different artists 2-4 times a week. He also has become a regular in the Long Hollow Baptist Church rotation for playing drum set sunday mornings and wednesday evenings. He has recorded two songs for artists that are either already available on iTunes, or coming soon and also has 2 upcoming tour opportunities. I am so proud of how hard he has been working to develop relationships and professional connections. He is not the out-going, never-meet-a-stranger type so this is BIG. He HATES calling strangers on the phone, let alone, talking to them in person. He is awesome and the people that he has met and played with truly rave about his abilities and demeanor. :) What can I say? I'm blessed. 

Meah loves our new yard, has a best friend (Abby) and loves the kitties down the street (Max and Bella). Everyone in the neighborhood knows her and all the kids love to pet her. She's definitely settled right at home into a routine. She's quite spoiled with her walks and the love and attention she gets all over the neighborhood. She's a great dog though. I am so pleased with her loving nature, despite the aggressiveness naturally associated with the german shepherd breed. 

No comments: