Sunday, March 8, 2015

cleaning out our closets

In our current culture, how often do we think about what our stuff means to us? Anyone who says that this isn't a consumer culture is kidding themselves. I mean, anytime I go to the store I rarely have a second thought about whether or not I should buy something. Out comes the wallet and I purchase whatever I deem necessary for our home or my closet. 

Well now we are thinking about it, everyday. For those who haven't heard, we are moving to Texas in less than a month and our new place will be completely furnished, linens and kitchen essentials included. We won't need any of our own stuff except for our clothes, and it's not financially smart for us to store items at greater cost than their current value, so out they go. Everything is up on craigslist and Facebook to try to sell or give away and multiple trips to goodwill have ensued.

The funny thing is, the more things we get rid of, the more I am inclined to put additional items in the goodwill box and consider, "we won't really NEED that." I will be incredibly happy if through this experience, I learn to find value in God, relationships and family, and not silly things. I don't want our possessions to determine my happiness.

Anyone want some of our stuff??
-Cas

No comments: