Thursday, October 1, 2009

NICU and Babies



The though of actually committing to a unit at the hospital scares me and it means that I have to grow up. I know, you can always do a switch-er-roo if you don't like it, but I don't want to be bouncing around from unit to unit with no clue what I want to do. The worst part is, in school we only get a fraction of what is available to nurses as far as work experience. Maybe they just expect that we all want the absolute best learning experience and will work med-surg or ICU for a couple of years, but I know that not everyone wants to or will do that after they graduate.

I still am not sure whether or not I will work med-surg or something similar to it when I graduate. I really haven't planned past this semester. But, I finally feel like I have some sort of idea as to area I eventually want to go to.

Neonatal Intensive Care Unit or NICU





























Last week during clinicals, Maggie and I had a one-day experience in the NICU taking care of itty-bitty babies and I fell in love. These patients are the epitome of those who need care because they cannot care for themselves. I just love their little toes and fingers. It seems to have the right amount of excitement and stress, because these little ones are fighting for their lives, but also a very calming effect when you hold them in your arms, feed them, and change their tiny diapers. This does not mean that I am closed off to other ideas or new experiences. I am definitely looking to see how labor and delivery will suite me in this upcoming rotation (starting next week). I just want to enjoy what I do.


No comments: